Central Valley Chapter
California Land Surveyors Association

Promoting the professional practice of land surveying in the California Central Valley.
Serving the greater Merced, Stanislaus and San Joaquin County Area."

what do link


Does a surveyor have to be licensed?


Surveyors in the State of California are licensed by the Department of Consumer Affairs Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.

On their website you can a Guide for Consumers that contains answers to many questions that are frequently asked.


How do I find a surveyor?


Visit our members page or

The State CLSA Find a Surveyor webpage allows you to search by Zip Code, Specialty or by Name.

If you have found a survey monument with a licence number and are looking for that surveyor, use the License Lookup feature at the Board for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors.


How do I consult a surveyor?


The State CLSA site contains a brochure How to Consult a Surveyor that answers many questions along this line.


What type of education will I need to become a land surveyor?


The education required for surveyors to become licensed varies with each state, from high school graduation up to a degree from an ABET-accredited surveying program at a college or university. In California, with only a high school education you can begin a career as a land surveyor making great entry level pay. On the job training as well as apprenticeship programs are available. To jump start their career, many surveyors earn college degrees. There are several two year and four year programs available.


What type of academic background should I have?


Land Surveyors are problem solvers. A strong candidate for the land surveying profession should enjoy and excel at problem solving. Develop your problem solving skills by taking as many math courses as possible, including algebra, geometry and trigonometry. In addition, high school students interested in surveying should take courses in drafting, computer-aided drafting (CAD), geography and computer science.


What colleges and universities offer land surveying courses?


There are several two year and four year programs in California. Click here for a list of colleges and universities that offer land surveying.


How open is land surveying to women?


Women are attracted to land surveying in growing numbers for the same reasons the field draws men: It promises challenging, interesting work and high pay. In recent years, we have seen an increased number of women joining the profession.

what is link

Chapter News:

Holiday Social Event

Wednesday, December 6th

Our Newsletter "The Prism" September 2017

California Surveyor: "Issue 185"


BPELSG New corner_record_instructions

"It is important to understand that effective April 1, 2017, all new Corner Record submittals must use the new form."

BPELSG Example CBT Examination Questions:

BPELSG Bulletin:Fall 2017

New in the Library:

Tuolumne County - Updated Record Maps and Corner Records, added Mineral Surveys
San Joaquin County - added Filed Map Footprints
updated February 2016 Guide to the Preparation of Maps
updated ROS, PM, M&P, Corner Records
Madera County - updated Record maps
Santa Clara County - updated Record maps and Corner Records
Sacramento County - added link to Geographical Map Index
Fresno County - updated record maps
Stanislaus County - updated record maps

CLSA Chapter Website of the Year - 2012-2014